Weekly WOAH | Oct 9-15
// Thursday, Oct 9
- Amir Nikravan x Scott Benzel, at Various Small Fires, Hollywood.
Citing Photoshop’s command collapsing visible layers into one conglomerate layer, Merge Visible features perception-bending 2D paintings & sculpture from Amir Nikravan. In the courtyard, Scott Benzel presents site-specific sound installations Inverted Capitol Spire, Programmatic Architecture Displacement 5-7, & the multi-channel piece Inversion V.
opening reception 6-9pm | thru Nov 8
// Friday, Oct 10
- Expanded Cities Closing Reception LA, at Curio by AFN, Venice.
A light x space x time installation by Ela Boyd x Aaron Farley, the temporary telematic series triangulating three cities comes to an end— with simultaneous performances happening in Richmond, Virginia x Mexicali, Mexico. Facebook Event.
closing reception 6-9pm
- Freewaves: Question the Projection, at Side Street Projects, Pasadena.
Freewaves x ArtNight Pasadena present interactive public work exploring current attitudes towards art x global events. Video screening x micro projections from Vera Makianich, Daniel Garcia, Megan May Daalder & more. Facebook Event.
- JPW3: 32 LEAVES I DON’T THE FACE OF SMOKE, at Night Gallery, DTLA.
opening reception 7-10pm | thru Nov 15
- Michel Auder / Józef Robakowski: Street Life, at Farenheit, Boyle Heights.
Selected videos by avant-garde filmmakers, Michel Auder x Józef Robakowski explore tensions between public & private realms through depictions of everyday life. Curated by Martha Kirszenbaum.
opening reception 7-10pm | thru Dec 18
- Siobhan Aluvolot x Xara Thustra: Lovewarz Wallwerks, at LAST Projects, Hollywood.
Xara Thustra & Siobhan Aluvolot join multidisciplinary forces to create a egalitarian, anti capitalist, queer utopia amidst Hollywood’s Friday night lights. With books [donation based x give-away], this collaborative send-off invites public participation with a performance by Jeff Zilla (COOLWORLD), DJ Little Dinosaur, & complimentary food.
closing party 7-11pm
- RENDEZVOUS! (The Month of Macabre edition), at Hyperion Tavern, Silver Lake.
Screening of All the Colors of the Dark (Italy, 1972), Giallo trailer by Jonny Redman, DJ guests Spaziale, Todd Gilchrist x residents Alfonso Carrillo, George Ben Sun, Carlos Rossi, Dina Juntila, Giacomo. PLUS you could win Bruno Nicolai’s limited ed. red vinyl score… need we say more???
// Saturday, Oct 11
- Cameron: Songs for the Witch Woman, at MOCA PDC, West Hollywood.
An extensive survey of artist, performer, poet, occult practitioner, x provocateur Marjorie Cameron. Exhibition includes approx 91 artworks x ephemeral artifacts.
open to the public today thru Jan 11
- Gracie DeVito: Changing of the Guard, at 356 S. Mission Rd, Boyle Heights.
Hourly performance[s] by Gracie DeVito with Indah Dafan, Jake DeVito, Sara Gomez, Luke Harris, Sarah Johnson, Julia Leonard, Jillian Risigari-Gai, Ethan Swan, Joseph Tran (& let’s hope Danny DeVito makes it too).
- Nevine Mahmoud & Kathleen Ryan: 2 X 2 X 2, at Favorite Goods, Chinatown.
opening reception 7-10pm | thru Nov 23
- CODA: by Kerry Hyatt aka KHno7, at Gold Haus Gallery, Highland Park.
New works in paint & collage juxtapose archetypal x pedestrian images with saturated graphics in digital collage x serial paste-ups. Sponsored by The Work Magazine. Curated by the i-i Will Atkinson & Jb Jones.
opening reception 7-11pm
- Derek Frech: Secure Document, at Actual Size, Chinatown.
Works utilize encryption technologies to alter them symbolically & materially— stripping original content to restructure hierarchies of information transmission & reveal hidden mechanics of communication.
opening reception 8-10pm | thru Nov 29
- Celebrate Everything: 1 Yr Anniversary Party, at 1205 N Main St, DTLA.
The soiree dedicated to showcasing emerging purveyors in live electronics alongside acclaimed musicians celebrates One! Feat. David Scott Stone, Bandito Overlord, Logreybeam, Twin Braids (Baseck x Joy Through Noise), Standox (WMX x Wet Mango) & KrOn. Visuals by Alex Pelly. Early-birds win a modular synth demo with Muffwiggler!!!
Facebook Event | Tickets | 18+
// Sunday, Oct 12
- soundShoppe, at Center for the Arts, Eagle Rock.
Monthly FREE unstructured noise jam for experimental musicians & sound artists. Presented by SASSAS & Center for the Arts Eagle Rock.
doors 12:30pm | 1-4pm
- Maja’s Magic School: The Pyramid & Its Occult Function, at Besant Lodge, Beachwood Canyon.
// Tuesday, Oct 14
- David Lucien Matheke: Interior Void, at CSUN Art & Design Center, Northridge.
New paintings, sculptures, & a performance from the multidisciplinary visual & sound artist (of Endometrium Cuntplow).
opening reception 6-8pm performance 6:15pm
// Wednesday, Oct 15
- I IM EYE MY + FILTHY HUNS + Video Art by SUZY POLING, at HRLA, Chinatown.
Video screening of works by Suzy Poling (Pod Blotz) followed by sounds from Filthy Nuns (Daughters of The Sun members) & I I’m Eye My.
- LOST & FOUND FILM CLUB: Our Disgusting Bodies, at Cinefamily, West Hollywood.
The latest 16mm monthly ‘shorts-tacular’ gives a physical guide through hormonal vintage shorts, with a retro tribute to the repulsive meat of our corpus & more… a night of phys-ed promising to be both gross & enticing.
- John Knuth: Base Alchemy, at 5 Car Garage, Santa Monica.
Fly & mylar paintings by the LA artist. RSVP for address.
Through Oct 10
- Fay Ray: Part Object, at Samuel Freeman, Culver City.
Sculpture, painting, photographs, & photomontage spill onto the gallery’s exterior.
Through Oct 11
- Min Song: Tromp L’oeil Depression, at Young Projects, Hollywood.
Ea. work comprised of a box atop a photo decal adhered to the floor.
Through Oct 11
- Yvonne Rainer: Dances and Films, at The Getty, Brentwood.
Through Oct 12
- New Gravity, at Overduin & Co., Hollywood.
Group show feat Frank Benson, Judith Hopf, Angie Keefer, Kitty Kraus, Mahony, Oliver Payne, & Chadwick Rantanen. Curated by Olivian Cha & Eli Diner.
Through Oct 18
—Follow our blog to receive an email when Weekly WOAH posts. Drop us a line to share your event. All images courtesy artist x venue listed.